Buckle up, it's going to be a bumpy ride cheres!

Calla Lilies to Cala Cakes - Buckle Up, Chere - It's Gonna Be A Bumpy (but fun) Ride!

Friday, January 21, 2011

No News Is...Well...No News

I must be some high level of naive. Sent resumes to four places two weeks ago and have heard NOTHING back. Not even a chortle or guffaw from the one company that (in their electronic submission gateway) requested a salary requirement. I guess I thought I'd at least get a quick little 'We have received your information/e-mail and will review it, thank you' form e-mail or SOMETHING.

I'm going to send out more and hope something sticks. I'm also going to send some 'just checking to see you got it' e-mails to the ones that are on radio silence.

Two weeks ago was just after the new year's holiday - and sure, some folks were still on vacation...but c'mon. At least say "Sorry, can't help ya."
Maybe broaden my spectrum? Anyone want me to come clean their homes? I scrub a mean toilet, I love to vacuum and I can organize the hell out of your place. And I can come by and keep you that way. I can help you get ready for parties, do the pre-shopping, theme set-up. Probably even knock out a funky cake, too!

I'm just in a funk. I've been feeling congested, goopy and coughmeister general since coming back to Houston on Monday.

My future home city is 5-1/2 hours away to the east via car/moving truck (well, probably about 6-1/2 hours or so by moving truck), my dearest love who is my boyfriend is a day away by car (if I wore Depends and had a refueling jet to follow me) the OTHER direction and here I am Stuck In The (veritable) Middle, in Houston.

Time to get the roast going - at least there will be po' boys in Houston this weekend.

14 comments:

  1. It's not unusual for companies to not give some kind of notification that they have received your resume and rejection form letters are pretty much unheard of anymore. Too little manpower and too many applications. The recruiters I work with say they typically get 300 resumes for each open position they have on the first day! Hang in there and contacting them is not a bad idea. Just to inquire that they received your application/resume and to ascertain the status of the position.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. I'll keep sending them out and contacting w/follow-up messages/calls (depending upon their stated preference).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Echoing what Lisa said. Tim has had that same experience repeatedly over the last several years. But do not give up! I like your idea of helping with house cleaning and organizing - I could certainly use some of the latter but I'm in the wrong direction.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keep your head up girl. Just paper the city and something will pop. I say you don't mention that you aren't officially here. If you can't get to an interview immediately (next day) due to work just tell them you had to go back to Houston to try & finish some legal stuff with your home so you could be here (techinally you can move over a weekend so it shouldn't be an issue). Don't give them a reason to look at someone else just cuz you are 5 hrs away.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "you can move over a weekend..." Oh, heavens...I'm sunk before I begin. ;) "I" could be moved, but my stuff...well, that will be a whole 'nother weekend after I get this loaded flat packed. Which has been part of my paralytic problem. I know I know, quit fretting and start applying/submitting...sorry - I come from a LONG line of "Worrier Queens"...I have to get over that on the smaller stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Keep at it with the resume's, Wendy. Remember to keep them to one page, use key words that are in the job announcement on your resume, do the follow up constantly, expand your horizons like you kiddingly said above. The main thing is just getting your foot in the door; in your case the "door" is NOLA.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cripes, I have two pages of experience...and it isn't all the same thing. I guess I need to edit down and one-liner the company and say something akin to "detail can be provided upon request"? I don't want to leave it all out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. And believe me, I TOTALLY APPRECIATE the advice and support y'all! :) Thank you very much! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Being chased right now by two different positions, they both know me by a two page resume - it all depends about the profession/industry you're in and how you're positioning yourself. Personally, when I'm reviewing resumes, I want to see some detail but no more than two pages.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I may just suck it up and send to the contract furniture dealers in town...I can promise myself that it's not forever...?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nope, it won't be forever. Do you have a portfolio of your work in either field?

    ReplyDelete
  12. No, the part of the furniture field I'm in - we don't really 'do' portfolios. As for the cake side, I do want to finish setting up my website (the photos are the issue) that way they can go hit that to see the scope of my creativity and my skill sets.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Here's something from my inbox at work you might want to peruse:
    Seven Job-Seeking Tactics You Probably Haven't Tried
    http://www.linkedin.com/news?viewArticle=&articleID=336181839&gid=39919&type=member&item=41074868&articleURL=http%3A%2F%2Fcareersgateway%2Eblogspot%2Ecom%2F2011%2F01%2Fseven-job-seeking-tactics-you-probably%2Ehtml&urlhash=J0K3&goback=%2Egde_39919_member_41074868

    ReplyDelete
  14. Duh! I just realized you probably don't have access to that link. If you'd like I can copy it and email it to you. Let me know. My work email is
    judy.beale-thorne@maf.nasa.gov

    ReplyDelete